Friday, June 17, 2005

all about me me s

so i've been seeing these things around, these memes. i picked up this meme theme from becks and posh - it's hosted by deliciousdays.com, which is a pretty site so you should check it out here. and join in the all about me me me fun. sooo answering the general call to reveal a little something about myself as a cooker and an eater and a spastic (though not ill-intentioned) humanoid and to share in this community of other cookers and eaters, spastic or not, here it is. the next post will be back to food.

What is your first memory of baking/cooking on your own? making a batch of homemade brownies when i was seven. memorable because my long hair fell into the batter and got caught in the egg beaters which wound their way up to my scalp leaving me with bizarre brownie batter caked hairdo. also memorable because, as i was crying imagining my life as a bald child, my father and brother just laughed and laughed and pointed and laughed. then they asked if there was still enough batter left to make the brownies.

Who had the most influence on your cooking? my moms, of course. she who was learning how to cook classic american (yep, white trash) cuisine, being neither a cook nor an american. think japanese renditions of american classics created by someone who'd never so much as scrambled an egg. scary.

Do you have an old photo as “evidence” of an early exposure to the culinary world and would you like to share it? there is very little photographic evidence of my existence as a child. according to visual records i began to exist at about the age of nineteen. usually with eyes half-lidded and drunkenly dangling a cigarette from a gibbering saliva coated mouth curled into an idiot's grin.

Mageiricophobia - do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat? any meats on any grill. beef jerky anyone? no? i also do chicken jerky, turkey jerky and fish jerky.

What would be your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest letdown? my vitamix and kuhn rikon pressure cooker i dearly, deeply, madly love and use almost daily. between these two gadgets teeth are really superfluous. my biggest letdown has been my soymilk maker. the truth is, i don't really like soymilk. should've thought of that before i bought the damn thing.

Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like - and probably no one else! not weird in australia or england, but i like vegemite spread very thinly on lightly margarined toast. in the olden days, when i worked in a dingy london pub in bayswater, i used to put together the most god-awful yet delicious concoction of vegemite, a slice of cheese, thousand island dressing and a few potato chips between two slices of white bread and toasted in one of those sandwich presses. pure artery clogging badness. do i need to mention that alcohol may have played a part?

What are the three eatables or dishes you simply don’t want to live without? garlic, bread (preferably steamy fresh puffy blistery nan bread, but wonder and bimbo brands also please), and movie theater popcorn with imitation butter flavoring. really third place would've been beer but the question isn't for drinkables. and no, i was not raised in a double wide. it was a triple wide.

Three quickies:
Your favorite ice-cream: sorbets - mango and lychee.
You will probably never eat(again): sigh, my much beloved bacon.
Your own signature dish: seitan cutlets.

6 Comments:

Blogger obachan said...

Hey rae! I see you got the “conginue reading” trick! This kinda thing sure makes blogging more fun, doesn’t it?
Reading your first memory of baking, I recalled my first cooking, too. It was a mess, and I ran to the backyard and cried under a tree there. :D

1:47 AM  
Blogger rae said...

did you also have to get a haircut that made you look like a chinese mao-era propaganda poster child? as for the "continue reading" trick, i won't admit how long it took me to make it work. thanks for the instructions though, they were very clear - unlike the addled mess inside my cobweb lined brain.

3:43 PM  
Blogger obachan said...

HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT?! :O That haircut actually gave me a trauma... boys always teased me.

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rae!

The original intention was to start a non self-activating meme, basically on a "invitational" basis like we described in the post. So we started with three tagged bloggers and the stick continued to travel from there on, however, it has since developed in so many different directions that we thought why not also include the bloggers/cooks that may have answered it on their own, but outside the tree... ;) I would have sent you an email, but couldn't find it on your site.

Thanks for your lovely entry. :)

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg - rae - this entry just made me *chuckle chuckle* because i can only imagine hair getting caught in a mixer! how funny!

1:46 PM  
Blogger rae said...

obachan: i know about THE haircut 'cause my mom used to dish it out - or rather bowl it out (using an honest to god bowl on the head for reference).

oliver: sorry about jumping in uninvited - being a luddite and a bit illiterate to boot, i didn't understand the "non self activating" part, but glad i can play anyway!

sarah: guess you would've been laughing and pointing over there with my other warm-hearted family members if you'd been there. come to think of it, so would i - except being one notch colder, i mean warmer, i would've snapped a few pics for posterity.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter

«#Veggie Blogs?»