Wednesday, February 01, 2006

homemade bagels


i'd never really cared much for bagels. they'd always seemed, oh, uninspired. bready. airy. dull. like lunkering tires of dense wonderbread. oh, i would eat them without complaint once they were toasted crisp like an ibiza-vacationing-technoraving- christina aguillera-wannabe-lookalike-euro-tramp, and slathered with a hearty coating of hummus, tomato and dill pickle(!), but i'd never sought them out.

then one day on a whim i made a batch at home. i was afraid at first. the thought of putting dough into boiling water seemed like a recipe for disaster but, much to my amazement, the little tires puffed up and an exploratory post-boiling, pre-baking cut into one showed that the interior had already mostly cooked. the end product wasn't like any bagel i'd had before. they were dense. they were chewy. they were interesting. i didn't even have to toast them and slather them with toppings!

i'm not from the east coast nor have i spent any significant amount of time there, but i'm told that these are what real ny bagels are like. they're not particularly difficult to make and shaping them is a breeze if you ignore all the bad advice about making a coil and attaching the ends to each other to form a donut (i guarantee it will come apart in the boiling process)...just stick your finger in the middle and dig around until you have a hole to your liking.

Bagels
1 cup warm water
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 ½ teaspoon yeast
1 ½ teaspoon salt
3 cups flour

place yeast in warm and sugar and allow to froth. add flour and salt and knead until smooth and shiny. depending on your type of flour and altitude, you may have to add a little more or less water. let rest at least 20 minutes so the dough can relax. separate into eight equal sized balls and make into bagel shape by punching a hole in the center of each roll with a finger or chopstick and stretching the hole out (with your finger) until it is at least 1 inch in diameter (the hole will get smaller once the bagels puff up). place on a well greased (or floured) cookie sheet and let rest another 20 minutes. at this point you should bring to boil at least 4 inches of water in a large pot with 2 T. sugar. after the 20 minute rest, place the bagels in rapidly boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side. the heat of the water is very important since this is what will make the dough puff up and get chewy. place a lid on the pot once the bagels are in to maintain a high temperature. drain and place on well greased, light colored cookie sheet and sprinkle with the toppings of your choice (i like salt, dried garlic bits, sesame seeds and fresh black pepper) or leave them plain. bake at 450 for about 15-20 minutes, turning over once. for wheat bagels, omit 1 T. sugar and replace with 2-3 T honey. replace all white flour with wheat flour.

13 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

What's funny is that you never liked them, but you actually went to the trouble of making them. Wow. Eh?
My Jewish girlfriend, who was my "best woman" at my wedding, told my hubster (before we even met, it's too cute, and that may be why she was "best woman"; her husband was "best man"; oy, this story goes on too long) that a good bagel "should hurt."
You keep doing things I want to try.
Well... Just so you know, I'm experimenting right now with fermented walnuts. As of today I think I have a petri dish full of pure yeast. It's cool.

11:52 PM  
Blogger rae said...

cookiecrumb, you know that deep in the blackest part of my heart i have rather a fascination with all things fermentable...sounds very interesting. and speaking of making things i don't even like, tonight i am roasting a -yikes- chicken (as a special request for my man). i'm definitly going to vegetarian hell.

1:27 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Doomed!
(PS: For May I also want to pickle something like capers. Buds. Well, no, not *those* buds. Any suggestions?)
xx

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look great, I have always wanted to try and make my own.... hmmmmm

As for vegertarian hell..... Stephanie from Dispensing Hapiness does the same thing.....

5:21 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Beat you those ROCKED! Yum!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

Hi. I caught your blog in the "Top 10 Sources for Veggie Living" today. How cool! I've been thinking lately, that it would be much better for us if I make my own bagels, I just never thought that was gonna happen. And here I found your blog...about homemade bagels! WOO HOO!
thanks! and is it ok to link to your blog?

6:41 AM  
Blogger Katerina said...

This looks amazing! How many does it make??

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you I was doubtful of throwing dough into boiling water, assuming that I was soon to have a clean-up disaster on my hands. But following your recipe, I watched as the dough magically swelled into puffy doughnut shapes. The smell as the bagels cooked was heavenly and they tasted delicious. In fact I'm making another batch tomorrow for family and at the request of work buddies who sampled the first batch. Thanks for the great recipe!
I made bagels!

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never attempted to make bagels, but sometimes boredom prevails...and you begin to wonder "Could I...?". Boredom getting the best of me, I decided to try this recipe. As I was making them, I was wondering how these horribly misshapen lumps of raw dough could ever resemble anything more than just that. Step by step, I followed your well written directions. I hate to admit to my A.D.D. type tendencies, but I will in this case, as it shows what a forgiving recipe this truly is!!! I realized after the "boiling" that I had forgotten the second 20 minute rest period. Now I began to sweat...BUT, guess what!!?? All turned out well, and these are the best ever!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"just stick your finger in the middle and dig around until you have a hole to your liking."


A W E S O M E

8:36 PM  
Blogger Mer said...

I used this recipe quite a while ago when my friend and I wanted to make bagels. They turned out great and were delicious!

I had you bookmarked, in case I wanted to make them again. :)

Just wanted to say thank you, and let you know that I started my own food blog today, and would be honored if you would stop by and take a look.

Thanks again!

9:31 PM  
Blogger - said...

I just saw your post which is kinda old but I wanted to comment:

I've been making bagels for a long time, and the best, the very best, is to add dill to the dough. OMG it is SO GOOD! Dry, powedered dill is just fine, it doesn't have to be fresh. Also the dry stuff tends to enter into the dough better with the flower, and not leak moisture into the dough.

The other tip I have is for you to add molasseses to the boiling water, not sugar - the resulting texture will be much better. Don't be shy with it, either! Lots of salt in the boiling water, if you can watch the water and have good heat control, is also a great tip. You don't want to have a mess!
FUN!

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

徵信社, 感情挽回, 挽回感情, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 捉姦, 徵信公司, 通姦, 通姦罪, 抓姦, 抓猴, 捉猴, 捉姦, 監聽, 調查跟蹤, 反跟蹤, 外遇問題, 徵信, 捉姦, 女人徵信, 外遇問題, 女子徵信, 外遇, 徵信公司, 徵信網, 徵信, 徵信社, 外遇蒐證, 抓姦, 抓猴, 捉猴, 調查跟蹤, 反跟蹤, 感情挽回, 挽回感情, 外遇沖開, 徵信, 徵信, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信, 徵信社, 外遇, 外遇蒐證, 外遇, 通姦, 通姦罪, 贍養費, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信, 徵信社

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter

«#Veggie Blogs?»