Friday, September 09, 2005

matcha tokoroten



my mom has been watching a lot of those japanese health programs lately and, in the endless quest to lose weight (all ten extra pounds of it, if that), has latched onto the latest trend in japan - tokoroten. previous faddish and short-lived drastic dietary regimes have included: drinking huge glasses of ground up carrots before every meal (she hates carrots, can you imagine?!!), eating nothing but thick, pulpy fruit puree for two weeks, rubbing this spot on her stomach exactly ten times a day in order to "clean" the blood, and the list goes on. and on. and on. so this tokorten fad did not alarm me at all. in fact, i was quite happy since i like the stuff myself.

for the un-initiated, tokoroten is a noodle made from seaweed derived gelatin, called kanten. i use powdered agar agar, which may or may not be exactly the same thing. it tastes the same, which is to say that it has absolutely no flavor whatsoever. this is a good thing, as martha stewart might say. it is the ultimate blank canvas. you can make sweet jello-like desserts if you add sugar, fruit or fruit juice, or you can go the sour way and make noodles doused in a soy-vinegar dressing.

i don't follow any particular recipe for either making tokoroten or the deserts, but the general rule i follow is 2 teaspoons to 1 Tablespoon of agar agar powder to 2 cups of water (or fruit juice). for a firmer jelly (or if you are using acidic fruits), use the larger amount of powder. bring the water to a boil, whisk in the agar agar and boil for a minute or two. pour the liquid out into a mold. for noodles, a long narrow flat bottomed plastic container is what i use. for desserts you can use the same mold if you're going to cut the jelly into squares, or for more fun you can use those rubber ice cube trays that come in different shapes. the liquid does not have to be refrigerated in order to set and should be ready in as little as a half an hour. loosen the jelly from the container edges and invert. it should just drop right out. now you'll need the tool. if you don't have the tool, you can lay the jelly out on a cutting board and slice into thin noodle shapes. this is what i do since there is only one tool between me and my moms, and she's not letting it leave her house. then you prepare the sauce. i just use rice wine vinegar and soy sauce (sometimes a little lemon too) mixed together to taste. it should be like a vinegar-y dressing. pour over the noodles and slurp up. if you let it sit in the dressing the flavorless noodles will absorb some of the sauce and be tastier. i like to serve these with a battery of condiments: karashi, green onions, and grated ginger, a few drops of sesame seed oil.

the noodles pictured above were made in the classic way, but as i brought the water to a boil i added some matcha powder. then the agar agar. then i strained out the matcha (you could use regular green tea leaves) as i poured the liquid into the mold. the noodles came out with a beautiful speckled light green color and a delicate tea flavor, which was lost once i drenched them in the soy-vinegar sauce. i'll have to work on an alternate sauce to go with the tea flavored noodles.

so jump on the crazy japanese health program bandwagon and eat a bowl before every meal!

10 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

So what you're tasting is basically the condiments, right? And the noodles are just there for the slithery sensation. I'm sold.
I looked at Obachan's recipe to see the "tool." Probably couldn't use a french-fry cutter; too squiggly. BUT! Check this out. (heh)

10:49 AM  
Blogger rae said...

yeah cookiecrumb,
they eat this slithery stuff during the summer in japan because it's cooling, not usually with the pile of condiments i add. i am really into condiments, sometimes they're all a sad vegetarian can get at a bbq...let me count the number of condiment sandwiches i ate this summer.... as for the "thing" you posted a link to, my first thought was that it could really scratch that itch on my back. second thought was that it'd be an excellent disciplinary device for a wayward man....

9:31 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Wow, I hadn't heard of these before. This seems it would be very refreshing, chilled. Not to mention novel. The tool reminds me of a Play-Doh accessory I had when I was little. I guess I should have kept it!

9:41 PM  
Blogger obachan said...

Hey rae,

So this is the green tea tokoroten you mentioned. Looks great!! You did a great job slicing the jelly.

The combination with soy-vinegar sauce was a little surprising to me, though. I don’t know why but when I heard matcha tokoroten, somehow I automatically thought about a sweet version in syrup-like sauce. Maybe I had a strong image of matcha-related summer sweets in my mind. (BTW, reading your post, I noticed that I need to make a few corrections to my tokoroten post. Thanks.)

Looks like they are trying to fuel the tokoroten-for-diet fad again here in Japan. It was featured on a TV show for housewives this morning…

6:52 AM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

hi there! Hope you don't mind but I'm going to add you to my blogroll

11:10 AM  
Blogger fethiye said...

this definitely is interesting! I have never heard of this before. thanks for leaving a note to introduce this dish!

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a ryokan I visited, my girlfriend and I were served tokoroten as the welcoming snack when we entered our room instead of a more usual sembe or prepackaged local nibble.

They offered us the choice of a similar dressing (probably karashi and ponzu) or kuromitsu and maybe kinako.

My girlfriend went the savory direction, I went the kuromitsu route. I'm such a sucker for kuromitsu.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know this is an ancient post, but maybe you could try a light plum sauce with or without ginger and lemon?

9:21 AM  
Blogger Dr.Gray said...

Plum sauce would probably do well. Or maybe something Yuzu. I love the Yuzu + matcha combo. Anyways the pics look great. I think stuff like this is perfect for introducing people to Japanese food. Get them used to the texture thing. And I have to agree with the above comment. Play dough cutter would be perfect. That one that makes the hair come out of the guy. Matcha tokoroten hair, yum.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

徵信社, 感情挽回, 挽回感情, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 捉姦, 徵信公司, 通姦, 通姦罪, 抓姦, 抓猴, 捉猴, 捉姦, 監聽, 調查跟蹤, 反跟蹤, 外遇問題, 徵信, 捉姦, 女人徵信, 外遇問題, 女子徵信, 外遇, 徵信公司, 徵信網, 徵信, 徵信社, 外遇蒐證, 抓姦, 抓猴, 捉猴, 調查跟蹤, 反跟蹤, 感情挽回, 挽回感情, 外遇沖開, 徵信, 徵信, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信, 徵信社, 外遇, 外遇蒐證, 外遇, 通姦, 通姦罪, 贍養費, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信, 徵信社

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter

«#Veggie Blogs?»