Wednesday, March 08, 2006

garlic roasted brussels sprouts


brussels sprouts. having been a freak from a very early age, it comes as no surprise that i've always loved these diminutive little cabbages, ever since i was just a sprout myself. of course it may have had something to do with the fact that, in my home, they were cooked with a leg of rabbit *shudder* which both terrified and delighted me even then. although so tender and tasty and moist, there was something about the flesh of a rabbit and its thin, narrow bones that reminded me of.....no, not chicken. cat. felines maximus. specifically i imagined it tasted much like our cranky old calico cat would. junior was her name, and she would nest in my long tangled hair every night. and i didn't want to eat her because i loved her. maybe this was the seed of my vegetarianism...

as i got older and more prone to the meatless way, the rabbit part of the brussels-sprouts-equals good-food equation faded away and i was left with just my green, curley-headed little buddies. usually i ate them steamed with maybe a drizzle of soy sauce and garlic. it was only recently that i discovered the miracle of roasting. having been so happy with my formerly minimalist approach to sprouts it never occurred to me to do anything other than steam them. recently however, i've come across roasted brussels sprouts in "traditional american comfort food" type restaurants and cookbooks everywhere. and i'm a convert. the following recipe has been adapted from the vegan with a vengance cookbook. i'm posting the recipe as written here with my modifications in parenthesis. i usually cut back on the oils and fat and i find the result is still very tasty.

roasted brussels sprouts
1 lb. brussels sprouts, washed and halved
1 Tablespoon olive oil (i use pan spray)
3 cloves garlic, chopped (i use more like four or five!)
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (i add salt to taste)

toss the brussels sprouts with the olive oil and roast in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. remove from oven and add garlic and salt. roast for another five minutes. i modify by generously spraying the roasting pan with pan spray instead of tossing the sprouts in oil and spraying the top once they are in the pan to prevent burning. i also add only half the garlic at the ten minute interval, adding the rest at the end of the baking time raw. yes, raw. this is only for the die-hard garlic fan.

17 Comments:

Blogger Dreena said...

Wow, these look excellent, and what a great photo. I made roasted brussel sprouts recently - I loved them, but I had a hard time getting the rest of the clan to eat them... frustrating! Well, more for me! :)

12:03 PM  
Blogger xsparklerx said...

Those look good... I'm scared of brussel sprouts, but I think you've inspired me to at least try them lol

Olive oil is a healthy fat, better for you than chemical-laden pan spray... But if you like using less oil, did you know you can get these special spray bottles that you put a cooking oil in and it sprays out just like pan spray? They have them at most kitchen supply stores...

12:50 AM  
Blogger rae said...

dreena: sadly enough my man loves these guys as much as i do. it's always a race to get that last piece in this house...

xsparklerx: wow, i feel like some kind of missionary or something, spreading the good word of my pals from brussels. and you're right about the olive oil and pan spray thingie, i acually use an olive oil filled misto pump sprayer and due to sheer laziness i call it "pan spray". should probably be more clear on the point. and please try the sprouts...they are so good for you with all that garlic and stuff...

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Keep spreading the gospel of the brussel sprout!

8:21 PM  
Blogger xsparklerx said...

Oh ok, that's good :)
Yeah, I love garlic, but I think I'll skip the raw stuff, I'm not THAT hardocre lol

10:25 AM  
Blogger sp said...

The brussel sprouts look fabulous! This may be the way to entice my partner into finally eating brussel sprouts (I'll really go for the 4 or 5 garlic cloves for him). I grew up with the mini cabbages being one of my fall seasonal faves, but outside of my family others I encountered wrinkled up their noses with disgust whenever i mentioned including brussel sprouts in a dinner. Above mentioned partner was not exposed to sprouts growing up (cultural difference) so he needs some encouragement. This could be the break through recipe!

9:05 AM  
Blogger rae said...

sp: another sprout lover...i had no idea there were so many of us! i'd definitly go for the full dousing of olive oil if you're trying to convert - it really adds to the dish.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

These look and sound absolutely delicious. I may even have to try growing brussels sprouts again next fall. But I'll definitely have to hunt some down before that.

8:34 AM  
Blogger redjane Stephanie Belding said...

As someone who put off the dreaded "fart ba;;s" until I was 27, I must say I am a convert and never thought of roasting them. Right on! Have you tried mixing them with other roasting veg and if so, what?

11:25 AM  
Blogger rae said...

farmgirl: oh yes, please do grow them. they are so beautiful on the stalk.

redjane: i'm kind of a purist and like my sprouts on their own but for some reason parsnips pops into mind...

1:04 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

i am a big lover of both brussel sprouts and garlic! i think that these will be made just as soon as i can get my hands on some sprouts :)

i usually steam and add olive oil and a bit of salt, but i've been into roasting things lately as well...

11:08 AM  
Blogger to2sassy said...

MMMM I love brussel sprouts but have never thought to roast them. I roast asparagus all the time ..similar with salt, garlic and olive oil and some fresh thyme and/ or tarragon.Just before serving I give them a splash of lemon juice. I can't wait to try roasting brussel sprouts

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like you idea of putting the sprouts in the oven. Never even came to mind. I usually use the stove top to do my brussel sprouts. roasting them sounds good love the picture made my mouth water. Garlic can't omit. love garlic.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try tossing in a little basalmic vinegar and just a pinch of sugar. Yum!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I made these last night and they were WONDERFUL! I linked here, just thought I'd let you know. Thanks for a great recipe!

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

徵信社, 感情挽回, 挽回感情, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 捉姦, 徵信公司, 通姦, 通姦罪, 抓姦, 抓猴, 捉猴, 捉姦, 監聽, 調查跟蹤, 反跟蹤, 外遇問題, 徵信, 捉姦, 女人徵信, 外遇問題, 女子徵信, 外遇, 徵信公司, 徵信網, 徵信, 徵信社, 外遇蒐證, 抓姦, 抓猴, 捉猴, 調查跟蹤, 反跟蹤, 感情挽回, 挽回感情, 外遇沖開, 徵信, 徵信, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信, 徵信社, 外遇, 外遇蒐證, 外遇, 通姦, 通姦罪, 贍養費, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信, 徵信社

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

室內設計,室內設計,室內設計,裝潢,室內設計,室內設計室內設計公司
,搬家公司,搬家公司,台北搬家公司,搬家公司,室內設計
這一家租屋網免費刊登不用錢耶
搬家公司,健身,茶葉A片,SEO,SEO,SEO,motel,led手電筒,棧板,二胎,隔熱紙,照明,健身,a383,a383,,二手家具,a383,胸章,車燈,
文山搬家
,兼職小姐,南港搬家,大安區搬家,松山搬家,中山區搬家,八里搬家,
五股搬家,
泰山搬家,大同區搬家,中正區搬家,士林搬家,萬華搬家,

台北搬家公司,台北搬家公司,客人,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,加油棒,台中搬家公司,台北市搬家公司,台北縣搬家公司

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter

«#Veggie Blogs?»